Public Hearing on the Draft EIR for UCSF Medical Center at Mission Bay
|April 11, 2008||Posted by jamie under Calendar||
Public Hearing* on the Draft Environmental Impact Report (EIR) for the UCSF Medical Center at Mission Bay
Tuesday, April 22, 2008 at 7:00 p.m.
UCSF Mission Bay Campus
Genentech Hall Auditorium
600 16th Street
The purpose of this hearing is to solicit public comments on the adequacy and accuracy of information presented in the Draft EIR.
UCSF plans to build an integrated hospital complex to serve children, women, and cancer patients near its existing 43-acre biomedical campus on a 14.5-acre parcel south of UCSF’s existing biomedical campus at Mission Bay. The project site is bounded by 16th, 3rd, and Mariposa Streets, and the future extension of Owens Street. The new facility will increase inpatient and outpatient capacity to meet growing patient demand, address old and outdated facilities, and comply with state-mandated earthquake safety standards for hospitals.
Upon completion of the first phase in 2014, the hospital complex will include a total of 289 beds:
- A 183-bed children’s hospital with urgent/emergency care and pediatric primary and specialty outpatient facilities
- A 70-bed adult hospital for cancer and women’s specialty patients
- A women’s hospital for cancer care, specialty surgery, 36-bed birth center and select outpatient services
- An energy center, helipad, parking and support services
In a future phase, the medical center plans to add 261 beds (for a total of 550 beds), outpatient space, and support services. At full development the proposed project will total approximately 1,787,000 gross square feet. An analysis of up to 400 beds on the site in 2014 and up to 650 beds in 2025 was completed in a 2005 EIR. This 2008 EIR tiers from the 2005 EIR analysis. Topics analyzed in this 2008 EIR are: aesthetics, air quality, hazards, land use, noise, transportation, and utilities. The 2008 EIR finds that since certification of the 2005 EIR, there are no new significant impacts that cannot be mitigated to less than significant levels.
The Draft EIR will be available online at http://campusplanning.ucsf.edu/ starting April 8, 2008. There will be a 45-day public comment period. Paper or compact disc copies are available by contacting UCSF Environmental Coordinator Michelle Schaefer at HospitalEIR@planning.ucsf.edu or 415-476-2911.
Copies are also available for viewing at the following libraries:
UCSF Kalmanovitz Library, 530 Parnassus Avenue; UCSF Mission Bay Library, Rutter Center, 1675 Owens Street; Mission Bay Branch Library, 960 4th Street; Potrero Branch Library, 1616 20th Street; Bayview Branch Library, 5075 3rd Street.
To provide written comments on the Draft EIR, please write to Ms. Schaefer at UCSF Campus Planning, Box 0286, San Francisco, CA 94143-0286 or email HospitalEIR@Planning.ucsf.edu. Comments must be received by 5:00 p.m. on May 23, 2008.
* The UCSF Mission Bay campus is accessible using the MUNI T-Third light rail line. If you drive, park at no cost in the SURFACE LOT (near the UCSF Police Station); this lot can be reached by taking 16th Street to 4th Street. Complimentary parking is not available in the garages. Please bring photo ID to show at building security desk.