Volunteers Needed for Sunday Streets 2009
|February 4, 2009||Posted by jamie under Non-Profits, Open Spaces||
If you’ve been reading this blog over the past year, you know that I advocate strongly for the Sunday Streets events to become an ongoing event in San Francisco. Planning has begun for Sunday Streets 2009, and I hope you or someone you know will step up to help make the events a huge success.
San Francisco’s Sunday Streets, an innovative program that transforms miles of San Francisco’s roadways into car-free open space, is coming back by popular demand!
This program was successfully implemented in 2008 with two well-attended events (8/31 and 9/14 2008) and will continue in 2009 — but we need your help to make it happen.
Sunday Streets 2009 planning is underway and we are looking for individuals to help with a range of projects. We have a variety of needs, and welcome your participation within your time constraints and availability.
STEERING COMMITTEE: (Approx. 2-4 meetings per month)
This committee oversees overall Sunday Streets planning and implementation. We are looking to diversify and expand this committee for a broad representation of SF organizations and communities.
SUBCOMMITTEE CHAIRS: Serve on Steering Committee and lead efforts of subcommittee.
SUBCOMMITTEES: (time commitment varies per individual availability)
- Fundraising- offset costs to make the program revenue neutral for the city. We seek: people with experience in fundraising of all kinds and/or contacts with potential donors;
- Community Outreach- build support in local communities; We seek: Organizers and community activists with connections to diverse neighborhoods, and people fluent in other languages;
- Programming- develop comprehensive programming featuring 75+ activities per event. We are looking for folks to help organize activities for each event and/or people associated with specific activities and/or organizations that provide/promote physical activities;
- Volunteer Coordination- recruit, train and coordinate 150-200 volunteers per event. We need people who have connections to volunteer lists and experience recruiting and managing volunteers;
- Marketing/PR- implement a sustained marketing and PR campaign to build participation across the Bay Area. We seek experienced media people and people with good media connections.
We also welcome additional skills that you are interested to bringing to the table.
We welcome the opportunity to work with interns, students and those interested in developing skills in any of the activities involved in producing Sunday Streets.
Please contact me directly if you would like more information about getting involved with Sunday Streets 2009!